Why Give Blood?
Giving blood makes it possible for many people to lead normal healthy lives. Every year thousands of patients require blood transfusions in our hospitals, because they are undergoing surgery, recovering from cancer or have been in a serious accident.
People give blood for many reasons
How much blood is needed?
- 3,000 donations are needed every week
- Over 1,000 people receive transfusions every week in Ireland
- Only 3% of the Irish population give blood, providing blood for a population of over 4 million
- Only 5% of the Irish population eligible to give blood do so
- A car accident victim may require up to 30 units of blood
- A bleeding ulcer could require anything between 3-30 units of blood
- A coronary artery bypass may use between 1-5 units of blood
- Read all about blood here.
- View the Current Blood Supply